Skip to main content

The Single Best Piece of Advice I have Ever Received

Now, when you first hear this simple phrase, you might be thinking to yourself, "Just what the hell does this have to do with health and fitness?"

Well, first of all, remember that one of the three core areas of overall health and fitness at every level is mental fitness, and even spiritual fitness plays a large part in the importance of this lesson, even though I failed to realize it at the time as a militant atheist that believed anyone who believed in anything beyond science, what we CURRENTLY know about the universe at large, was some sort of loon.

"Never stop writing. Its good for you.Those words, that maxim of my High School English teacher, Mr. Edolo, are words that I will always remember. Words that have enabled me thrive for the years since I took his class all those years ago. It may seem like a fairly simple statement, a phrase that, much like many of his sayings, is deceptively straightforward at first glance, and yet upon further reflection, there is profound depth to be found beyond the specific structure of his words. I have always had a passion for writing, but it wasnt until then that I realized the true power of the written word, and decided once and for all that no matter where my future may take me, I will always be sure to bring a notepad.

His final assignment for the class was based on the novel
The Things They Carried, written by Tim O'Brien, in which I began to truly understand the meaning of evaluating writing. The book itself may seem like a fairly simple reflection of a soldiers time serving in the Vietnam War, but it isnt until the end of the book that the lines of the portrait created by puzzle pieces finally revealed themselves. 

The narrator concludes the story by admitting that the entire tale may or may not be factually correct. The details may be fuzzy, and some events could have simply been creations of his mind, but none of that really matters. What matters is that it is how he remembered and experienced it. Factual or not, it is his story, his war story. Our assignment was based off this lesson, being completely open-ended aside from the simple guideline of telling our own War Story. As someone who had sixteen surgical procedures by the age of twelve, along with a host of psychological disorders, I found that much like the soldiers returning from Vietnam.

Much like so many people in this world, I was carrying far too much, bearing a weight that threatened to take away everything I had. I needed an outlet, a way to ease that burden, and understanding that message, evaluating the true meaning behind the text, may have indeed saved my life. Twenty-two pages were submitted for that assignment, but I never stopped writing, and more importantly, I never stopped looking for the deeper meaning of the text.

During my final years of college, I was, yet again, going through an invisible war being waged within my mind and body, corrupting two of the most essential aspects of my fitness despite being in the best physical shape of my life. The timing couldnt have been any better. Though I thought I knew much about the power of the written word, this lesson, this invaluable maxim that I will never forget, never stop passing on to anyone who will listen with a story worth sharing, and whether you realize it or not, your story is worth sharing. In fact, I would bet good money on that fact, considering that if you're reading this blog in the first place, there's something within your heart of gold which pushes you further, never accepting defeat, and always striving for improvement.

Overall, this lesson provided

me with an even deeper understanding of just about everything in my life, let alone the books that I read, and now I share that same lesson with you in hopes that it has a similar impact.

So, my loyal followers, if you remember nothing else, just remember this: never stop writing. It's good for you: mind, body, and soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just What is Gross Gamer Fitness?

At first glance, the title itself may raise some red flags. "Gross?" you may cry, holding up your nose in astonishment. After all, long-gone are the days of public school where such words were lauded as badges of honor! Heck, some of you may even still cling to the only stereotype of the "gross" fat nerd living in his parent's basements playing games like World of Warcraft, but man oh man! Do I have some surprises in store for you, dear reader! Much like any good story, a great introduction to a blog begins with one thing above all else: honesty. This does not necessarily mean the kind of honesty that can be neither proven nor disproven in the court of law, but rather a kind of justice heralded by those who have suffered, have triumphed, and have lived the tales themselves. As such, the information which I am about to divulge unto you, dear readers, is not one of 100% factual evidence, at least by the standards of some imaginary lawyer named Chad (because th

A Few Notes About My Upcoming Health and Fitness Book

First of all, yes, I know, surprise surprise. The chronic writer is finally deciding to "cash in" and write a fitness book of his own. However, that's far from the case, as far as the term "cash in" is concerned. Actually not a bad book. Too bad it focuses only on calories. Actually, that's precisely the reason why I feel the need to write this blog post in order to dispel a few myths and rumors that may or may not surround my latest, greatest upcoming release (Aside from my next book in the Nightmare of Eden Series, the first of which can be found here , and could really use your vote/support if you have any kindness in your heart. This upcoming fitness book will NOT be your run of the mill diet book, and it will NOT be a collection of templates, routines, or even solidified commandments as to "how to get beach ready" or some such nonsense. In fact, the tone and progression will be much like a series of my most recent blog posts. Ta

The Single Most Underrated Health Food Out There

It seems like some new superfood is being touted every day in this "Golden Age" post-Dr. Oz. From Acai berries to goji berries and prickly pears, it seems like there's no shortage of super rare, expensive and exotic weird-ass fruit out there that is going to magically solve all of your health issues (citation needed).  In reality, there are no magic bullets, and while I do my best to drill that into the heads of just about everyone, and I imagine that the vast majority of my blog readers are already well-aware of this fact by now (if not, then please just accept it and stop wasting your money on quick fixes. They don't exist). However.... That doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of super healthy, nutritious foods and compounds out there that, when combined with proper diet and exercise, can dramatically change your life for the better. What the people trying to make money off you don't want you to realize is that the most powerful of these co